In early 2017, we the founding members who shared the passion to help persons with disabilities achieve their highest possible level of function, independence and quality of life met at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital, Ghana. We noted that;
- Patients with disabilities were mostly discharged from hospitals in Ghana without receiving rehabilitation – majority were stigmatized and ended up begging on the streets.
- the only form of rehabilitation Ghana has known has been physiotherapy although there are other forms such as Rehabilitation Medicine, Rehabilitation nursing, Occupational Therapy, Speech and language therapy, Orthotics and Prosthetics.
- access to quality yet affordable assistive devices in Ghana was very poor
- the general public had very little knowledge on the causes and management of disabilities
- there is very little research conducted into rehabilitation medicine
To rehabilitate, educate, advocate for and give hope to persons with disabilities.
To provide the highest level of quality rehabilitation care to persons with disabilities.
Who we are
We are a group of health professionals who share a passion to provide comprehensive, coordinated multidisciplinary rehabilitation services to persons with disability.
- To establish district multidisciplinary rehabilitation teams in Ghana
- To provide quality affordable and accessible assistive devices for persons with disabilities
- To train and provide vocational skills to persons with disabilities
- To conduct research into disability and rehabilitation
- To advocate for improved care and rights of persons with disabilities
- To support other groups and activities aimed at improving the quality of life of people with disabilities